Sunday, January 23, 2011

My decision...

Over the past few months I have been meeting with doctors and nutritionists, lab technicians and specialists to help me decide what my best options are on how to tackle losing weight.  In the past I have done everything from the cabbage soup diet, Atkins diet, Jenny Craig, Nutri-System, Weight Watchers and good old fashion working out.  I lose weight and I gain it back. I've quit smoking and started again and quit again (woo hoo!)...no help for the gut or the bum when you do this...I've had two kids who are the loves of my life but were no help in the hips getting smaller.  I have hypo-glycemia, hypo-thyroidism and the slowest metabolism in the world.  All this combined with the sweet tooth that is actually engrained in my DNA and it's a recipe for being over weight.  I have always been overweight so this has been an on-going battle for me since high school.

The thing is, I always thought that I was just being lazy, because yes I hate to work out.  I've never had that endorphin experience that just makes me want to get out there and do it over again.  If working out was anything like sex, then maybe I would do it more...but alas it is not.  However, I have learned that it's not just about me being lazy.  I have discovered in the past year that I physically cannot do this on my own.  I have a cracked knee-cap, lower back issues and a hip that just won't stay where it's supposed to...so when I work out, eat right, lose weight and injure myself...it's begins a cycle that I have dealt with before.  It's time for me to break this cycle and do what I need to for me to be successful.

While currently I do not have any heart issues, diabetic issues or other major health problems...my family history predisposes me to many conditions that can be avoided with weight loss.  This combined with the desire to hold my grandchildren and see my children in their eyes has motivated me to do what I have to do...and to make whatever sacrifices I need to to be a better example for them.  So good bye convenience foods, farewell processed products...and hello food pyramid with loads of healthy crap.  I pledge half of this process to healthy eating.

The other half...well that was the hardest decision.  Since December 16th, I have been attending education classes on bariatric surgery, getting x-rays, ultra sounds and consultations, praying, having discussions with hubby, praying some more and praying with hubby to have some clarity on how I should proceed.  I  am a prayer warrior and have surrendered everything to God...and with grace and strength I can say I have decided to have surgery to help me conquer this battle.

It's not an easy way out.  The road ahead of me is going to be more difficult than anything I have ever had to physically do for myself.  It is a tool for me to accomplish the goals that I have set for myself and my family.  The by-product already...my family is eating healthier.

Here's to a healthier life...
...now to go workout so I can make weight on January 31st.  Only four more pounds to go!

Until next time,
Wonder Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment